This Fire Station forms part of a major programme of providing improved fire and rescue to the Cleveland Fire Authority which has identified the need for an improved retained community fire station in the historic Headland district of Hartlepool. The scheme involved the demolition the existing 1950's fire station, creation of a new temporary Fire Station on an adjacent site and provision of a new single storey community Fire Station.
The Headland Fire Station operates 24/7 using retained fire-fighters living within 5 minutes travel time of the station. In addition to this the fire station is intended be used by a variety of community groups and organisations who will use the shared community facilities that form a key part of the building occupying a prominent corner of the site. The Fire Brigade also intend to use the facility to give fire safety and educational talks to various community groups.
Seymour Harris were employed under a Design and Build contract by ISG Construction and were responsible for development of the brief, option studies, detailed design including planning applications through to completion on site.
The building is sympathetic in form and massing to the surrounding buildings, many of which are residential, yet a strong bold modern design has been created which will hopefully act as a catalyst for other regeneration projects in the area. Uniquely, the public were involved in selecting a preferred design from a range of design options prepared by Seymour Harris that were published in the local news media.